Apr 26, 2011

Style

I've never in my life followed the latest fashions! I'm a plain old country girl who wore hand me downs from my older sisters, and occaisionally was the reciepient of some 'new' piece of clothing. We'd get a new set of clothes at the beginning of the school year, or maybe a home-sewn dress that Mom made for Easter.  And new flannel pajamas that she'd sewn for Christmas and I never thought twice about it, that's just the way it was.  It was not an issue ~ I was loved, fed and clothed. My needs were met. Fashion meant nothing to me.
Well now after more years than I care to share with you ~  I'm in 'style!'  My absolute favorite pair of jeans tore out across my knee, not in only one spot but in two!  I will never wear them in public again because they've now crossed the line and have joined the ranks of my 'working clothes'  along with my older jeans and stained tops.  They've become my gardening gear. 
BUT ... now days they sell the same style of jeans - holes and all - for big bucks!  I just don't get it - and I never will!!!
This reminds me of something my Grandpa O. once said when someone asked him what he thought about cooking outside when bar-b-que grills became the new rage of his day.  He said "I know the world is going straight to hell because now they are cooking outside the house and shi**ing inside  it!"



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

lOVE YOUR STORY AND A LOOK BACK WHEN YOU WERE GROWING UP. A LOT OF MY JEANS HAVE WORN OUT AND HAVE BECOME WORK CLOTHING. NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

Cindy Bergeron Scherwinski said...

Thank you for pointing out that I am also in style!! Love you for it!

Cindy

Paula said...

I still shake my head when I see holey or faded jeans for sale for big bucks.

Dar said...

I'm with you there dear sis. There aughta be a law!, anyway, I just went through a favorite pair too and put them aside for the summer...they tore right above the knee...perfect to lop off and wear for garden shorts.
The distressed jeans on the market are a bit too air conditioned for even me.
It's snowing again after rains all morning...grrrr! It's coming your way. Yes, it was great seeing you too this past weekend.
BlessYourHeart

Remington said...

I have never understood why people would buy clothes with holes in them. I would gladly chew some up if I could make some money....now that's a thought....

Kathy said...

You really should have asked me before posting my picture.

hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah. That's right. That's me.

hahahahahaha.

Kidding. I'm with you on the holy jeans thing. Although, I am really fond of making craft things look old and grungy...

Fred Alton said...

I couldn't agree with you sentiments more - and I suppose we'll never understand this new style. Now I could understand getting a hole in your jeans, but all mothers in my time would quickly patch them!

Balisha said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog this afternoon. I too have a gardening get-up. I wear old jeans, a denim pillow ticking jacket and an old shirt. My shoes are always the old keds that were new from last year. These clothes are so comfortable and are "me" in the garden.
Your bird pictures are really beautiful. I'll visit again.
Balisha